Available for the first time in over 40 years, this architecturally rich and rare house at 37 Harrison Street (originally 327 Washington Street) retains a remarkable abundance of its original detail. Currently configured with a 3-bedroom, 2-bathroom layout, this 21-foot wide structure stretches over three sun-drenched floors, plus an English basement with exposed stone walls, front and rear entrances, and 13′ 6″ ceilings. Constructed in brick in a Flemish bond pattern, this corner house enjoys a craftsman-like attention to detail and scale and as one of the city’s finest extant examples of the Federal Style. It features six wood-burning fireplaces, soaring ceilings with exposed beams and original arched dormers. Its private garden adjoins an enclave of similarly designed houses connected by their historical pedigree and unlikely survival. Linked by a cobblestone street that once faced the river, the entire row was converted for warehouse use in the 19th century as the commercial activities of the Washington Market expanded northward, leaving no more than a handful of the original townhouses.
Built in 1828 and landmarked in 1969, the Wilson Hunt House is one of a group of nine Federal houses whose scale and profile exist nowhere else in New York City. Located on a site that was once the well-known farm of Annetje Jans, to whom it was granted in 1636 by Dutch Director General, Van Twiller, the area surrounding the house has evolved a bit over the last several centuries. Its farms and breweries long gone, the quaint neighborhood now offers access to some of the city’s finest shops, restaurants, and 21st century conveniences.