Built on a lavish 25 X 92 foot lot, this home is approximately 5000 square feet.
"Stunning proportions" is likely the first impression you will have when entering this grand home. Second might be the fantastic natural light, followed by the beautiful original plaster molding, high ceilings and the welcoming spirit of this home. Currently configured as a generous 2 family house, with a free market rental, this property can easily be transformed into a spectacular single family home.
This house has 15 rooms in total, plus a finished basement, 5 full and one half bath. The 7 fireplaces throughout this home have original mantels.
The gracious stoop leads into a warm and inviting entry that separates the owners Lower Triplex and free market tenant Upper Duplex.
LOWER TRIPLEX: Basement Floor, Garden Floor and Parlor
Garden floor has a private entry under the house front stoop leading into a study. In addition there is a guest bedroom, and full bath. The private master suite has a full bath, home office and direct garden access;
The spectacular parlor floor has high ceilings, gorgeous original Brazilian mahogany pocket doors, original plaster molding, a windowed kitchen and access to a delightful terrace;
The full height basement has the building's mechanical, laundry room, full bath and approximately 18" of additional ceiling height in a spacious recreation room.
UPPER DUPLEX: 3rd and 4th Floors
The 3rd floor is similar in proportions to the parlor with a living and dining room, den and windowed kitchen. There is a powder room and laundry closet;
The large stairwell skylight fills the staircase up to the 4th floor with natural light. This floor has an on suite bedroom, large 2nd bedroom and 2 smaller bedrooms. There is a 2nd full bath as well
Built in 1842, this 4 story late Greek Revival home was built on behalf of William E. Dodge, who made his fortune in commerce. Mr. Dodge was a co-founder of the Phelps Dodge Corporation, a founding member of the YMCA, laid the corner stone of College Hall at the American University of Beirut where he was a trustee and treasurer. Mr. Dodge was a Native Americans rights activist, a civic leader and a member of the U.S. Congress. He is memorialized with an oversize life like bronze sculpture on the north east side of Bryant Park. He occupied 216 East 18th Street with his family until 1853. Mr. Dodge also had the "sister" house to this property at 214 East 18th Street build in 1842. Both 216 and 214 East 18th Street are the oldest homes in the Stuyvesant Square Historic District.
216 East 18th Street's convenient downtown location is idea for shopping at the Union Square Farmers Market, the multiple Union Square subways, a wide range of restaurants, shopping, numerous schools, Gramercy Park, Stuyvesant and Rutherford Squares.