When it comes to making life changes – major or minor – remembering everything you need to accomplish can be overwhelming. With the help of CORE Checklists, we hope to make even the biggest transitions as stress free as possible.
The day has finally arrived: Your new bundle of joy is coming home! After a long search, you’ve found the right pet for you and your family. As a responsible pet owner, you will need to provide a safe environment for this little guy or girl. As a new mother to a sweet puppy named Gemma, CORE’s Director of Operations Ashley Sherman provides her helpful list of how to pet-proof your apartment before your new member of the family comes home.
- Keep it clean – Provide play areas where it’s easy to clean up messes, think tile or vinyl flooring.
- Poison patrol – Keep cleaning supplies and medications in high cupboards or use childproof latches to secure lower cupboards.
- Designate a play station – Use a baby gate to mark off specific areas for your pet to play to avoid unwanted fun.
- Get on their level – Keep cords, chargers and other potentially harmful items out of reach.
- Close the lid – Prevent your pet from using the toilet as his or her local watering hole with lid locks.
- Goodbye to garbage – Keep all garbage pails covered and secure at all times, especially those in the kitchen.
- Far away food – Keep all food out of your pet’s reach. During the holidays make sure all candy, nuts and chocolate are put away.
- Not-so-tasty-delight – Spray pet-safe apple or lemon scented products on tempting chewables.
- Forever fabric – Consider reupholstering in velvet as it doesn’t snag like normal loop fabrics.
- Keep an eye out – Look out for noses, paws and tails when shutting doors or moving chairs.