When it comes to making life changes – major or minor – remembering everything you need to accomplish can be overwhelming. With the help of CORE Checklists, we hope to make even the biggest transitions as stress free as possible.
In need of a home office, but like the idea of a spare bedroom for guests? Why not combine the two? Use these tips provided by CORE Stylist Susan Goldstein to create the perfect home office/ spare bedroom conversion space.
- Remember the ‘Golden Rule’ – A place for everything and everything in its place.
- Storage rules – Work with a designer or directly with CA Closets, The Container Store (now offering custom built-ins) or IKEA to design a wall to include shelves, work surface and file cabinets.
- Cohesion counts – Make sure that the style of cabinetry and furniture is cohesive with existing design throughout the home.
- Make space – Consider choosing a full or queen size Murphy bed to open up the space when guests are not present.
- Cover up – Cover day-beds and sofa-beds with upholstery fabric to accommodate work meetings.
- Mix it up – Use interesting baskets and boxes in different textures and styles to store office supplies.
- Hide and seek – When designing shelves over the desk include some with doors to hide copy paper, printer cartridges, etc.
- Brighten up – Shelving over the desk should include strip or picket lights to illuminate the work surface and operate with dimmer switches.
- Calm down – Choose a paint color that is soothing for a work space but also conducive for sleep.
- Deck the walls – Include pops of color by adding pillows, throws, wallpaper and art.